As of early 2014, the IETF is considering how to define network monitoring for constrained devices:
- CoAP Management Interfaces proposes use of CoAP with SNMP MIBs.
- Management of Networks with Constrained Devices: Problem Statement and Requirements
- Management of Networks with Constrained Devices: Use Cases
- RESTCONF Protocol provides RESTful configuration of YANG data over HTTP. There is discussion of extending the REST interface to CoAP.
- MIBs are defined for 6LoWPAN and RPL (expired).
Tutorials and Papers
- Schönwälder and Sehgal published slides from a tutorial, Management of the Internet of Things.
- Schönwälder's Network Configuration Management with NETCONF and YANG from IETF84 also is informative.
- REST-based Access to SMIv2-structured Information on Constrained Devices, by Bergmann, Bormann, and Gerdes also discusses use of CoAP with SNMP MIBs, and adds use of CBOR-encoded payloads.
- 6PANview provides monitoring, including a lightweight port of Net-SNMP for TinyOS.
- CNDS at Jacobs U. provides a Contiki-based SNMP implementation.